The Nobel Prize in Literature 1913
Indian Poet, Bangali, English. All literary genres. Voice of India's Spiritual Heritage. Social reformer. Promoted gender equality, empowerment of women. Indian National Movement participant. Mahathma Gandhi was his devoted friend. Founder, school in Shantiniketan. Author, National Anthem of India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka.
"Love does not claim possession, but gives freedom."
- "We read the world wrong and say that it deceives us."
- I have spent many days stringing and unstringing my instrument while the song I came to sing remains unsung.
- Rabindranath Tagore Quotes, Goodreads
- Selected Quotations of Rabindranth Tagore by Alan Smolowe, School of Wisdom.
- Reach high, for stars lie hidden in you. Dream deep, for every dream precedes the goal.
- The truth comes as conqueror only because we have lost the art of receiving it as guest.
- In the region of nature, which is the region of diversity, we grow by acquisition; in the spiritual world, which is the region of unity, we grow by losing ourselves, by uniting.
- The wise man warns me that life is but a dewdrop on the lotus leaf.
- Music fills the infinite between two souls.
- We come nearest to the great when we are great in humility.
- The highest education is that which does not merely give us information but makes our life in harmony with all existence.
- Faith is the bird that feels the light when the dawn is still dark.
- The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough.
Uploaded on 12/01/2015
Painting Tim Tompkins - PaintHistory.com
Name: Rabindranath Tagore
Birth: 7 May 1861, Calcutta, British ruled India
Death: 7 August 1941, Calcutta, British ruled India
Residence at the time of the award: India
Prize motivation: "because of his profoundly sensitive, fresh and beautiful verse, by which, with consummate skill, he has made his poetic thought, expressed in his own English words, a part of the literature of the West"
Languages: Bangali, English
Discover Your Abilities and Aspirations!
$10 $25 $50 $100 Other
Tax Exempt 501(c)3 Non-Profit Organization
“One comes to be of just such stuff as that on which the mind is set” - Maithri Upanishath, VI.34:3
“…the peace that is found in libraries and laboratories…” - Louis Pasteur
Copyright © 2017 Ganga Library Inc. All Rights reserved.