David Mumford Ph.D.
National Medal of Science - Mathematics and Computer Science 2009
Mathematician. Algebraic geometry, Vision and Pattern Theory. Pure and Applied math. History and Philosophy of math, Math education. Sailing.
"Research enterprise depends on the free dissemination of scholarly material.
- Lectures on Curves on Surfaces, (with George Bergman), Princeton University Press, 1964.
- * Geometric Invariant Theory, Springer-Verlag, 1965; 2nd enlarged edition, (with John Fogarty), 1982; 3rd enlarged edition, (with Frances Kirwan and John Fogarty), 1994.
- The Red Book of Varieties and Schemes, mimeographed notes from the Harvard Mathematics Department 1967, reprinted in Lecture Notes in Mathematics 1348, Springer-Verlag 1988 and enlarged in 1999 with contributions from Enrico Arbarello.
- Abelian Varieties, (with C. P. Ramanujam), Oxford University Press, 1st edition 1970, 2nd edition 1974, reprinted and enlarged, with contributions from Yuri Manin, by the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research and the AMS.
- Toroidal Embeddings I (with George Kempf, Finn Knudsen and Bernard Saint-Donat), Lecture Notes in Mathematics 339, Springer-Verlag 1973.
- Curves and their Jacobians, University of Michigan Press, 1975, reprinted as part of the 'Red Book', 1999.
- Smooth Compactifications of Locally Symmetric Varieties (with Avner Ash, Michael Rapoport, Yung-Shen Tai), Lie Groups: History Frontiers and Applications, Vol. 4, Math. Sci. Press 1975, reprinted by Cambridge University Press, 2010.
- Algebraic Geometry I: Complex Projective Varieties, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1976.
- Tata Lectures on Theta (with C. Musili, Madhav Nori, Peter Norman, Emma Previato and Michael Stillman), Birkhauser-Boston, Part I, 1982, Part II, 1983, Part III, 1991.
- Filtering, Segmentation and Depth, (with Mark Nitzberg and Takahiro Shiota), Springer Lecture Notes in Computer Science 662, 1993.
- Two and Three dimensional Patterns of the Face, (with Peter Giblin, Gaile Gordon, Peter Hallinan and Alan Yuille), AKPeters, 1999.
- Indra's Pearls (with Caroline Series and David Wright), Cambridge University Press, 2002.
- Selected Papers on the Classification of Varieties and Moduli Spaces, Springer-Verlag, 2004.
- Selected Papers Volume II: On Algebraic Geometry, including Correspondence with Grothendieck (edited by Amnon Neeman, Ching-Li Chai and Takahiro Shiota) Springer-Verlag, 2010.
- Pattern Theory, the Stochastic Analysis of Real World Signals, (with Agnes Desolneux), AKPeters/CRC Press, 2010.
Find in a library near you. In Worldcat page, click book of interest to you. Scroll down to libraries which possess book. Possibly more than one person with same name
Discover Your Abilities and Aspirations!
$10 $25 $50 $100 Other
Tax Exempt 501(c)3 Non-Profit Organization
“One comes to be of just such stuff as that on which the mind is set” - Maithri Upanishath, VI.34:3
“…the peace that is found in libraries and laboratories…” - Louis Pasteur
Copyright © 2017 Ganga Library Inc. All Rights reserved.
Photo: Courtesy Dr. Mumford
Name: David Mumford
Birth: 11 June 1937 The bridges, Sussex, England
Title: Professor Emeritis
Affiliation: Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island
Citation: "For his contributions to the field of mathematics, which fundamentally changed algebraic geometry, and for connecting mathematics to other disciplines such as computer vision and neurobiology." Presented by President Barack H. Obama in the East Room of the White House on 17 November 2010."
Bearing Laureates Name